Saturday, July 26, 2008

Meeting in Midland!

Today I met Lara and Molly and Cat in Midland for a cuppa. What a wonderful way to spend the morning. It is such a different way to make friends this blogging thing - not through work or children but through a genuine common interest and feeling that these people will be like-minded.
I went home feeling inspired and chirpy at having made new friends and feeling that there are many good times ahead to be had with them.

Like Molly I got busy upon my return and Elder Munchkin and I hurriedly picked a large bag of tangelos whilst the parrots squawked obscenities at us. They were made into a tangelo dessert that we (hubby and I) love, and I'll have a go at freezing (if it even tastes half as good down the track that'll be ok) and the rest will go into more tangelo butter tomorrow since our Munchkins have already eaten all of ours.
Cat I know you aren't keen on Lemon butter so I'll leave you out - but Molly and Lara, you'll have a small jar each next time we meet. I'm not saying small to be stingy - it doesn't seem to matter how big a batch I think I'm making it never quite seems to fill 2 jars!

In any case if anyone's interested here's the recipe for the Tangelos (I got it from the Internet but can't remember where - it was a while ago). This makes a divine dessert - strong in flavour, more suited to an adult palate I must say (the munchkins aren't keen on it).

Tangelo Dessert
Ingredients
5 tangelos or oranges
2/3 cup of brown sugar
2/3 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (chopped finely)
2 bay leaves (bruised)
2 tablespoons B&B liquor (we use sherry instead)

Zest 1 fruit. Squeese 1/3 cup of juice from the fruit. In saucepan put peel, juice, brown sugar, wine, rosemary and bay leaves. Bring to boil. Simmer 8-10 mins until reduced by 1/3. Stir in liquer.

Meanwhile peel other fruit and cut into 1/2 inch slices. Remove bay leaves from juice. Pour over fruit. Serve or refrigerate for one hour then serve chilled.

Wow!

:)

1 comment:

molly said...

Sounds great Nat, I hear you about the amount when making butters, I usually double or triple the recipes just to get a reasonable supply in the cupbord....although the way son is going through this lot I will be lucky to have any left in 3 months LOL

Blessings:)